Animal Diseases General Info
There are common animal diseases that can be transferred to humans. These are known as zoonotic diseases. Rabies is the most frequently concerning disease that can be transferred from animals to humans. The rabies virus is transferred through blood and saliva. Other diseases can be transferred from animal fecal matter to humans by becoming airborne through dust and fiberglass insulation. Safety equipment such as respirators should be worn when inspecting a wildlife infested attic. There are all kinds of very harmful diseases that can be transferred from animals to humans. This is why you should consider having your attic remediated and sanitized when there has been a prolonged wildlife infestation with large amounts of fecal matter present. Wildlife waste actually attracts other nuisance animals to the attic / home due to the scent the droppings have.
Raccoon Round Worm
Raccoon round worm eggs are common parasite found in the feces of raccoons. Any raccoon that has round worm can pass round worm eggs through waste. This happens because once inside the raccoons, the round worms will lay their eggs inside the digestion tracts of the infected raccoon. As the raccoon digests its food the round worm eggs will become attached, and come through the feces of the raccoon whenever it dispels its feces. When the raccoon utilizes a bathroom area in a homeowners attic, the round worm eggs can attach to fiberglass insulation and become airborne. This is when humans can become exposed to the round worm eggs by breathing them in. Once inside the human body, the round worm eggs have an incubation period of 2-3 weeks before the eggs hatch. Once the eggs hatch the parasites infest the body by attaching to areas such as the brain and digestion tracts. If you suspect someone has been exposed to an animal disease you should seek them medical attention right away to try and prevent that person from becoming sick. Raccoon round worm is very hazardous and should not be taken lightly.
Histoplasmosis is a disease that can become transferred to humans the same way raccoon round worm can be. Bat and raccoon fecal matter can develop bacteria over time and become airborne through dust and fiberglass insulation in the attic area. The bacteria is what causes the histoplasmosis in humans. Wildlife removal professionals need to wear safety respirators every time they inspect an attic area. Histoplasmosis is most commonly found in bat waste. The fungal bacteria develops over time on large amounts of waste that has been building up. Bat waste is persistent by increasing guano amounts when there is a bat colony infesting an attic or crawl space area. Call a wildlife removal professional today for attic remediation services if you have any nuisance wildlife waste in your attic, it can be very dangerous for you and your family. If you have bat guano in the attic you should look into having it removed along with the contaminated insulation. Insurance sometimes will cover the process of attic clean up depending on your policy.
Hantavirus is a potentially fatal respiratory disease that is caused by breathing in bacteria from rodent droppings. Once a human is infected the disease is fatal is approximately 1 out of 3 cases. Rodent removal services should be performed if you have a mouse or rat problem in your home. When the waste mixes with dust, fiberglass insulation, or nesting material people are susceptible to breathing the bacteria spores in when the material is stirred up. Unless you are a wildlife control professional you should not attempt clean up or rodent droppings. Rodent control measures need to be taken before the clean up is done to avoid having to perform the process a second time. Staying away from any built up rodent guano is a necessary precaution you and your family should take to be risk free of the hantavirus disease. Call a wildlife control professional in your area if you suspect you have a mouse / rat problem in your home. This is a directory of wildlife removal professionals all over the US, click your state to find a wildlife company.
This disease is caused by inhaling spores of bacteria deriving from raccoon and rodent urine. It is also found in unpasteurized foods such as cheese and hot dogs. Wild animals commonly become infected by eating these foods. People with weak immune systems, elderly, pregnant women, infants, and young children are all more likely to catch this disease if they come into contact with bacteria. Keep your family safe by simply staying away from infected areas. If there is urine leaking through the ceiling in a bedroom then nobody should sleep in that room due to the slight risk of inhaling bacteria coming through the drywall ceiling. This is however unlikely but it's a safety precaution I would personally recommend to anyone close to myself. If there is enough, the urine could potentially leak through the ceiling and onto somebody cloths or even mouth area, and this could transmit the disease through direct contact with the infected wildlife urine. If you are going to look in the attic, make sure to wear a respirator. Thin face masks are not safe.